High-Res Images?

Like the way something works on our website? Want advice about your own web business?
Customer
Advanced Member

High-Res Images?

Post by Customer » Sep 10, 2010 9:18 am

I just received my meihua scroll and I love it! It's so much nicer than even the "high-res" image on your web site. You have probably heard this a million times, but it would be nice if you had better photos which showed more detail.

Brice.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 10, 2010 9:52 am

I'm struggling with the more detailed image issue. The original argument was that it would take 3 minutes on average for a person on dial up to download a high-res image of the artwork. And then they could take that image, make a nice print for themselves, and never buy the artwork (a concern of a few artists that I represented - I didn't think it was a realistic concern). I'd actually have to only offer high-res for artists that approved of it, which would be kind of weird to have it available for about half our artwork.

My other big problem is that while we lease a huge web server (this whole website is hosted on one server which was designed and powerful enough to host hundreds of websites), we've nearly maxed out our hard drive space. It's silly, but this is due to the fact that I created and manage about 4,000,000 images used for all the possible Chinese characters in 120 different styles for our tattoo template service.

Our server has two really fast and reliable mirrored 10,000 RPM SCSI hard drives on RAID. They don't offer SCSI drives bigger than the 147GB ones we are running. SCSI drives can read and write simultaneously (the typical SATA hard drive in your computer can't). This makes them very fast for serving database-driven websites like ours. The only larger drive that would not slow down the site would be a 300GB SAS 15,000 RPM drive. To put two of those on RAID it's about $105 extra per month and about $150 in tech fees to set it up. We're paying $240 per month now.

You're the 3rd customer in 8 years to bring up the high-res image issue. I figure for each customer who presents a concern, they represent about 20 that have the same concern.

So over 8 years, it will cost $10,080 to host high-res images. Divide that by 60 customers who really want them, and that's $168 per customer where lack of high-res images is a deal-breaker.

I was literally thinking this through while I wrote all of this. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense now, but I might consider it when the economy comes back, and we can afford that extra monthly cost.

If this is ever an issue for you in the future, just contact me on our forum, and I'll post the high-res version of the artwork you are considering.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 17, 2010 10:28 am

Update:

High-Res images are now available for most of our artwork. Look for the "See Huge Image..." link in the "Approximate Measurements" box to see a larger image (if available).

-G.