Request for Chinese artwork mounting

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
jplamanna

Request for Chinese artwork mounting

Post by jplamanna » Sep 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Gary,

I am the third type of scroll "charity case". I bought unmounted artwork on a visit to China without knowing how hard it would be to have it mounted in the US. :oops:
Here is a photo of my print. Will you recommend some good color choices for this? It is gold, not the usual white, so I'm not sure what color border will look good.
Also, we live in Denmark, not the US, but we are American. And I may be interested in buying some other pieces and shipping everything back together, if that is possible.

Otherwise, look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

John
Attachments
Chinese Scroll.JPG
Chinese Scroll.JPG (116.36 KiB) Viewed 9665 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 20, 2011 5:11 pm

We should be able to help you. Please let me know the size of this piece. I need to know that to price this project, and to set it up so you can pick your wall scroll colors, etc.

Once you place the order, you'll send it to our workshop in Beijing. When finished, we'll mail back the wall scroll to you in Denmark.

Medium-sized wall scrolls are under $30, plus shipping. However, yours looks like it's bigger. It might be in the $60 range. I won't be sure until I have those measurements (round to the nearest centimeter please).

-Gary.

jplamanna

Post by jplamanna » Sep 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Gary,

Of course, the size! It's 52cm wide by 93cm tall. It's a nicer quality piece that I bought from one of the state-run art shops in Shanghai. The concierge at our hotel recommended it over buying from a street shop. Maybe it just means I paid more than I had to. 8)

Anyway, let me know the price and such. Is there a way for me to ship to you with this same great shipping rate?

Also, my favorite items from your gallery were in the "already sold" sections, like the North Korean mountain scenes, which were amazing. Anything new in the landscapes section?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Your picture was a bit dark, and not square. I tweaked it to roughly-squared-up but a bit distorted. The color is a bit tan, but maybe it's beige in real life?

Here's your link to place your order:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Custom+Mounting&image=chinese_scroll_173

Cheers,
-Gary.

jplamanna

Post by jplamanna » Oct 5, 2011 1:57 pm

Sorry about the picture quality. I didn't realize what it would be used for, so I didn't bother to make it square.

It's gold-colored paper in the background. I think the plain black looks best, but it's hard to know for sure. Does this sound correct to you? Do you see many scrolls against black and does it look alright on the wall?

I'm a little worried about it looking like a "black velvet painting" or something!
:lol:

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Sorry, I missed this post from last week.

I think the black will look fine to western eyes. Black silk wall scrolls are extremely rare in China. So rare that to offer the plain black silk, we had to get a custom made batch of it from the mill. So many customers asked for it that we had to start offering it.

I promise, it won't make your painting look like a "Velvet Elvis" or "Dogs Playing Poker".

-Gary.

jplamanna

Post by jplamanna » Oct 12, 2011 2:43 am

Thanks Gary. I also found that a combination of black and green (in either order, actually) works very nicely as well.

I'm having trouble deciding whether I like black for the inner border or the outer pieces. When I make up my mind and consult with the wife, I'll let you know.

Also, I ordered samples of those pieces so I can place it next to the piece and ensure it looks right.

You say black is rare, but then what color is generally used to mount GOLD-colored paper? It looked funny against white or ivory on the computer, but if that's typical and looks good in person, then I'm inclined to use a more traditional approach.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I think white or ivory would contrast it nicely, and our golden brown (which I just refer to as "gold") would compliment it. Either way, I think you are safe.

In China, white would be the most common choice.

Green could be hard to match. Also, the batch of green I just got is a bit lighter than what our website shows (it's all hand made and hand-dyed, so each batch is different).

I'd suggest the gold or copper as the main silk and plain black as the inner silk frame if you are interested in a two-toned wall scroll that includes black.

I don't think the image that we're working with is accurate as far as color hue. So please allow for that as you are customizing and looking at the mock up. Reality could be quite different since I don't have control of the photography and color management in this case.

If you want silk samples, let me know. I'll mail you up to 5 swatches in the colors you want to see for free.

-Gary.

jplamanna

Post by jplamanna » Oct 13, 2011 2:33 am

Thanks Gary. I already have the color samples! I will compare the print against the white and ivory, since you say even a gold-colored print like mine would be mounted on white.

The more I think about it, dark color combinations might make for a very heavy piece on the wall.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 17, 2011 11:54 am

If you want to get this going soon, I can do you a favor and take the artwork to China for you. I'm going to fly out next Thursday to Beijing from San Diego. So if you want to save some money on international postage, I can hand carry it there for you.

You still need to place an order so we can track your order, receive payment, etc. Also, it will still be going back to you via the mail (I don't think it will be done in time, since this is just a two-week trip, and there's other priorities).

Let me know.

-Gary.

jplamanna

Post by jplamanna » Oct 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks Gary, but you probably forgot that I live in Denmark, so there's no saving international postage for me. No worries though, and thanks. I will place the order soon. Definitely not letting this print sit rolled up any longer.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 18, 2011 10:54 am

Sorry...
So many customers, and only my one tiny brain to keep track of all of them and where they live.

If I'm honest, I'd love to live anywhere in Scandinavia. If for nothing else, the politics seem so much more reasonable than in the USA.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Request for Chinese artwork mounting

Post by Gary » Jun 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Wow, it's been a while, but I just saw your order come through.

Here's shipping instructions to get your artwork to our workshop in Beijing:
viewtopic.php?t=4182

-Gary.