One New Mount and One Remount

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
paphio2
Advanced Member

One New Mount and One Remount

Post by paphio2 » May 2, 2014 1:14 pm

Greetings, Gary:

I have two pieces of art that need help.

The first item is a carp painting in silk (53" long and 18" wide). It needs to be mounted.

The second item is a two-tiger painting in silk (12" long and 21" wide). It needs to be remounted.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Yufu Phillip Liu from Seattle area
Attachments
DSC08031a.jpg
P2055298.JPG
(65.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Gary
The Boss

Re: One New Mount and One Remount

Post by Gary » May 8, 2014 10:50 am

Sorry for the late reply. On May 1st, we officially moved into our new location, and things were hectic. Thanks to our old landlord who increased the rent by 31% since February.

Are the tigers on xuan paper (don't worry if you don't know what xuan paper is, I just want to make sure they are not painted on silk cloth). Also, how old is this piece? If it's old and fragile (which it looks like it could be), it might cost a bit of extra labor. Otherwise, it's $20 to unmount and $32.88 for the remount (for single-color silk - more if you want two-toned silk and other fancy options, add $12 to $20).

The carp painting is completely unmounted, right? No silk or backing on it now? It should be just thicker than tissue paper if it's on one sheet of xuan paper.
That one is bigger, and will cost $49.88 for mounting and a single-silk-color wall scroll.

Of course, if you pick more expensive silks, two-toned silk, accent lines, and other special options, the price increases.

Attach an image of the carp along with the other info I asked for if you want to move forward with this.

I am less expensive than just about anybody else out there for mounting (unless you get on a plane, fly to China yourself, and shop around - but quality varies a lot).

My competition charges $200 per wall scroll.
I'm not in this for the money, so I just pay my guys at the workshop in Beijing a good wage, and maybe make $5 per wall scroll.
You can expect near-museum-quality. The only difference when we do a museum wall scroll are the highly-polished wooden knobs that cost $20 just for the knobs. Yours will have some nice dark-stained elm knobs that I designed (cost me under $3 per set).

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 8, 2014 4:22 pm

Greetings, Gary:

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to reply. I totally understand your situation. I am a property manager of a small apartment complex; thank goodness my boss, the landlord, is not as greedy as some others. Moving is a big deal, thus I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

The carp is painted on silk, naked without any backing. As you mentioned, it is as thin as a tissue paper. Therefore, the new mount should be easy and straight forward.

The two-tiger is also painted on silk, not xuan paper, judging from the texture. I bought it on eBay recently, and the Japanese seller informed that the painting is about 40 years old. The silk itself is not in bad condition, no serious torn, mostly bent from the bad packing of hard paper. That is why you see the vertical lines from the picture. Cheap Japanese mounting use cheap paper and light plastic ends, which this painting is on.

Your good reputation proceeds you. I trust your workmanship, and the prices you charge are very affordable. I am very happy to have found you, doing favors for art lovers. I won the tiger painting for only $20, but I am willing to spend money to preserve it. I definitely would like you to work on the two paintings, and will look at your examples to decide "options" such as two tones, etc. Do you still offer free shipping over $80? By the way, I am Chinese, and find your biography fascinating. From military to art! You should write your life story someday.

Sincerely, Yu-Fu Phillip Liu

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 8, 2014 9:01 pm

Greetings, Gary:

I have decided on the color schemes for the two paintings:

1. The carp: your popular gold silk with fancy gold strips

2. The tigers: two tone (plain mocha with medium green inner frame) with fancy gold strips

Thanks in advance. Reply when you have time.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 10, 2014 2:26 pm

The thing you must understand about silk paintings (versus ones on xuan paper) is this:
The silk painting will be mounted to a xuan paper backing. Silk and xuan paper expand and contract at different rates. Therefore, it's common to have a wavy wall scroll when this is the case. After several years, some wrinkles may appear. This is just the nature of bonding the two dissimilar natural materials together.

I still wonder if this is really on silk, as it's rare (but not completely uncommon) to have paintings on actual silk cloth. It's far more common to find paintings on xuan paper, shoji paper, mulberry, and other natural papers in Asia.

The unmounting of the tiger will be $20. However, if things get complicated and labor-intensive, I want to reserve the right to increase that by another $20 (if the guys need to spend an extra 2 hours on your artwork, I'll lose money if I don't charge for it).

Post a picture of the carp artwork, and I will set this up so you can select your colors, and place the order. There will be a mock-up during that process so you can try out different combinations and see if you like they way they will look.

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Greetings, Gary:

Thank you very much for the reply, as well as the explanation on different contractual rates between paper and silk. Scroll mounting mostly consist of silk "face" and paper "back". I think, as long as the backing paper (back bone) is of good quality, any temporary wrinkles should disappear in time. Having a dozen scrolls, I see different qualities of packing paper. The good ones have long fibers and feel like felt/mat. Of course the craftsmanship is crucial. That is why I trust your company, since you have work with the same mounting artists for years.

I totally understand the possible extra charge for unmounting in case of complications. It is not a problem.

Please accept my apology. I thought I posted both tiger and carp pictures. Here is the carp painting in silk.

Attachments
P2055298.JPG
(65.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Here you go:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?image=P2055298
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?image=DSC08031a

Please also add this item to your cart to pay for the unmounting labor:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddetail.php?prod=unmount

These are the shipping instructions to follow after you place this order:
viewtopic.php?t=4182

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Greetings, Gary:

Thank you again for the prompt reply. I have a question in regards to the two-tiger painting. On previous post, you mentioned that it would be $32.88 for single-tone silk mounting, plus extras for other fancies choices. However, when I tried to place my order, I found $55.88 instead. Could you double check on the matter? Thank you very much!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Sorry about that. I was looking at the 12" measurement the first time I checked out the tigers. However, if you want it mounted the same way (wide on a vertical wall scroll), it will count as an 18" wide piece of artwork.

Let me know if you want this mounted on a horizontal wall scroll (which will reduce the price to $32.88

Sorry that I did not catch this issue the first time around when I looked at everything. I totally got a 12-inch-width instead of 18" stuck in my head when I spouted off that price.

-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 14, 2014 10:57 am

Greetings, Gary:

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

After consideration, I think I will keep the tiger painting vertical. I will pay for both paintings' mounting today. Thanks for your help. I assume I should cut off the heavy parts from top and bottom before I mail the paintings.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Yes, make them light. Cut the top and bottom off, and just send the painting with a little margin.

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Greetings, Gary:

Today, I paid for the work of the two paintings via PayPal, and mailed them via USPS. The package should arrive in 2 weeks. Could you keep me posted of the progress? Thanks!

Phillip

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 14, 2014 8:31 pm

There will basically be two updates (if you follow the link from your confirmation email). One will be when this arrives and work starts in Beijing. The next will say that it's been shipped from Beijing. Because your artwork is a large size, it will return direct to you (smaller art goes in bulk boxes with up to 35 other customers' artwork, and then I forward it upon arrival).

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » Jul 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Greetings, Gary:

Is there any new update on my custom order (#17607)? Last update was on May 24th, working on the artwork. Thanks.

Phillip

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm

I will check on that with Beijing. It should have been mounted and shipped out by now, unless there was a delivery delay getting it to Beijing.

-G.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » Aug 1, 2014 12:08 am

Greetings, Gary:

Did you hear anything from Beijing regarding my order (#17607)? Thanks!

Phillip

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 3, 2014 10:47 am

Sorry for the delay. I was on military duty, and sent a text message to Beijing, but I just realized that I did not get a reply. I will call them tonight when they are awake over there.

It's been really hot and humid (Beijing summers always are), so I know we are behind. We stop the workshop when it's too humid (for health and safety, but also, mounting does not come out well in those conditions). We end up working just a few hours in the evening this time of year.

-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » Aug 3, 2014 11:33 am

Greetings, Gary:

Thanks for the reply. I hope your military duty went well!

I don't mind delay, as long as my art works are not MIA. :-) However, I would feel more comfortable getting another update since May 26th. Thank you for your understanding.

Indeed the summer in eastern China can be very hot and humid! My mother told me it hit 38 Celsius the other day. Of course the welfare of the workers should be a priority.

Please keep me posted. Thanks again!

Phillip

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » Aug 8, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi, Gary:

Did you talk to your workers? What is the update on my paintings? Thanks.

Phillip

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 10, 2014 8:30 pm

The remount is taking a long time. More than two weeks of gentle steaming to get it to release. It's very delicate. Anyway, that's the reason for the long delay. It will probably be finished soon. Remounts are the real wildcards of this kind of service (and one of the reasons I don't make any money doing this kind of thing).

Yours,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Re: TWO New Mounts

Post by paphio2 » Feb 4, 2015 2:00 pm

Hello, Gary:

This time, I have two new silk panels that need to be mounted. One is horizontal, the other is vertical. Could you give me an estimate? Thank you very much.

The horizontal one (landscape) is 15" x 48". The vertical one (7 persons) is 50" x 18".
Attachments
IMG_7466a.jpg
IMG_7466a.jpg (122.11 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
IMG_7392a.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 8, 2015 8:28 pm

Probably around $80 each. These are between my medium and large size, and the unmounting is tricky.

-Gary.