mounting quote

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
horace

mounting quote

Post by horace » Dec 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi there,
I have a watercolour painting done on xuan paper which has a painting area of about 26 x 36" and I would like to add a 3" silk border around the painting. Can you give me some idea how much this will cost (and if it's possible)?

Muchly appreciated!

Horace

Gary
The Boss

Re: mounting quote

Post by Gary » Dec 28, 2012 12:01 am

It would be roughly $56 depending on a few options you might select. Also, on that size, I can't do much more than a 2 inch border on the sides. I can go larger at top and bottom. I am limited by the size of mailing tube I can send to the USA when this is rolled up inside.

I strongly suggest you find a Chinese art framer in the USA. There are many in various Chinatowns around the country. Many in the Los Angeles area (especially San Gabriel). You won't have to send your artwork internationally, and it will be a lot faster.

Cheers,
-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Dec 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the prompt response. I actually live in Canada so finding a Chinese framer is rather difficult in my part of the country.

I was wondering two things:
1) what your policy is in the unlikely event that damage occurs to the painting during the mounting process.
2) do you have any pictures of recent work that you've mounted that you can share - with particular interest in large paintings?

thanks in advance!

Horace

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 29, 2012 9:03 pm

I guess my standard insurance policy would apply if there was a problem during mounting. That's $50 per piece of artwork, and of course, a full refund of the mounting fees.

I've never had any artwork damaged during mounting. I've been doing this for more than 10 years, and mounted about 25,000 pieces of artwork.

Here's my list of the only undesirable things that ever seem to happen during mounting:

1. A paper flaw that already exists in the paper is visually-amplified during mounting (in many cases, we can actually hide or repair paper flaws such as tears that already exist in the artwork).

2. When the artist applied the red stamp, he/she stacked other artwork on top of, or folded the artwork. Under this circumstance, there can be a transfer of a trace amount of red clay ink onto the artwork. This "ghost" of red clay ink will be amplified when mounted.

3. Once in a while, we get a batch of silk with some minor flaws. We usually catch these issues before they leave the workshop. Otherwise, I either remount the artwork or offer a discount.

As far as samples of our work, just look at any of the artwork listed on this website. We mounted all of it.

If you wonder if we can handle a large sized painting, take a look at this:
viewtopic.php?t=2916

Here's how we mount artwork:
asian-art-mounting.php
Those pictures are from our shop 6 years ago, but everybody in those images still works in our new workshop (which is three times bigger, and features an art gallery for local Chinese customers).

-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Jan 1, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Gary,
Thanks for all the info again. I had a bit of trouble painting my painting - and it,s only roughly 2 ft by 3 ft. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to do that gigantic painting!

Can I send the photos of my painting to you? They're too large and your forum won't let me post them.
Horace

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 1, 2013 5:11 pm

Please use Photoshop or some photo editor to downside the images. I don't need a huge 2000px wide image. Just 400px is plenty.

-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Jan 1, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the advice! I have attached the pic.

The overall painting area is about 40" x 25" and I'd like the overall dimension of the painting (including a 1" frame to be 32 x 46 - the framing will be done here) So how much matting do you think I need? Can the matting be cut after the mounting in case we need less area for framing?

As well, when the seal and calligraphy was written, the alignment wasn't perfect with the edge of the paper, so during the mounting, can the artist align the mat with the seal. thanks in advance!

Horace
Attachments
edited painting.jpg
edited painting.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 11069 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 3, 2013 12:17 pm

OK, I got the image modified to work with my options system:
options. ... age=horace

I don't do too many plain portrait mounts of this size, and I did find a new problem in my mock up system which will show a price of about $17.88
It's actually +$35.00 for the jumbo sized artwork you're sending, so about $52.88 depending on the options you choose. The correct price will show once you add it to your shopping cart.

Another caveat is that I will need to wait until I have a bunch of paintings of similar size to ship this back to the USA (unless you want to pay for rush service for $10 more). When I roll a bunch of paintings together, they protect each other, and are always delivered safely. If I send a single large painting to the USA, I have to use a very thick mailing tube, and the postage cost more than doubles.

It could take a couple months for the return, as I hope to have some large paintings shipped in March.

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 3, 2013 12:48 pm

Ok, about trimming...

We'll trim this and "square it up" as it's mounted. You've got a bit of extra white space, so losing a couple centimeters will be fine.

The typical silk border width on the sides is 5cm on each side (about 2 inches). The top and bottom can be taller (about 10 cm top and bottom).

Another note on the mockup as you customize this. The vertical dimension shown is way off. Basically, you're the first in a long time to do a portrait mount, or custom mounting of jumbo-sized artwork. There's a lot of little bugs in this scenario that I've not dealt with before, as they've not come up before.

-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Jan 3, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Gary,
Since I'm ignorant in the art of mounting, what do you recommend for a silk colour to go with the painting? I suppose something that isn't overpowering?
H

horace

Post by horace » Jan 3, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Gary,
The recipient of the painting has decided that she wants the painting in a scroll format now. I know that's going to modify the overall costs - sorry again!

I'm going to need to confirm the overall dimensions now that she's changed her mind on the presentation style.

Horace

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 3, 2013 8:31 pm

Wall scrolls are better for me, as I can ship this safely, sooner.

It's only about $15 more for a wall scroll.

I like copper silk the best, as it seems to go with everything.

Here's a nice combination of ivory with a copper inner-frame:
Bushido Scroll
It also has a few accent lines added in the ivory.

This costs a little more, but it's my favorite mounting combination.

-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Jan 4, 2013 11:30 am

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the recommendation!

I think the inner mounting and accent lines might detract from the painting. I think I will just go with the "gold" silk.

So in terms of dimensions, we can have 2" on left and right sides of the painting. How much is normally required for top and bottom? The floor to ceiling height is 9 ft so would 5-6 ft overall be enough/acceptable?

Shall I fill out the form that you created for me, submit it and then make the payment (will you have to readjust any of the numbers)? Where shall I send the painting to?

Thanks again for all the help!

Horace

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 4, 2013 12:02 pm

As far as length, I think you'll be OK. Most wall scrolls range from 4-5 feet long and are hung on walls that are 8-9 feet high. All normal.

Do follow the link I made for you, and select what you want. Once you checkout from the website, you can follow these directions for shipping:
viewtopic.php?t=4182

Cheers,
-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Jan 5, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Gary,
Just letting you know that I sent the painting this afternoon and it'll take 6-8 weeks to get to China. The cost of shipping from Canada to China is actually more expensive than the mounting job, go figure!

Thanks for everything!
Horace

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 7, 2013 1:26 pm

Wow! That's crazy. Air Mail (First Class) is about $12 for about a one-pound package. EMS (Canadians call that XpressPost) is about $35. That's crazy that Canada Post is charging so much. And air mail should only take 2-3 weeks to China.

Thanks for the information.

Some things don't make sense. It costs me about $7 to send a 14oz package to New York from San Diego via Priority Mail, but only $5 to Toronto from San Diego via international air mail.

-Gary.

horace

Post by horace » Apr 5, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Gary,
Got the scroll today. Amazing job with the mounting! Thank you!!! I'll be collecting my art work and sending a pile next time since it's much more economical.
H

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 7, 2013 3:48 pm

Glad you are pleased with the quality. Just post images and measurements when you're ready with the next batch.

-Gary.