Blank Makimono Hand Scrolls

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
hurricanf6
Advanced Member

Post by hurricanf6 » Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am

What is the status on 13437

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 25, 2011 12:04 pm

This is the one order of all orders that just seems to have a mind of it's own.

Somehow this scroll did not make it into the box of artwork we shipped after getting back to work once the Chinese New Years holiday was over.

I believe it's been shipped in a new box of artwork that is now on the way to the USA. I'm expecting an answer back from Beijing to confirm that soon.

I'm sorry for all the delay on this. The main reason was the holiday that had the workshop closed for a month. But the other factor is that with a special instruction hand scroll like yours, it simply can't be done by an apprentice, and takes some special set up anyway. It's one of those projects that has to be done after all the workers have gone home, and our master mounter has a chance to build it by hand in the evening.

We get extremely busy just before and after Chinese New Years, and run some 12-hour workdays, which makes it hard to find that spare time for the master mounter.

We don't really have an assembly line like a factory does, but our assembly process comes to a grinding halt when we run a special project through.

When you are satisfied with this sample, we should be able to get a larger batch through more quickly. In that effort, we'll be able to reset the assembly process to do the special design you need. Plus, there are no more Chinese holidays in the near future.

-Gary.

linwezzzy

Re: Blank Makimono Hand Scrolls

Post by linwezzzy » Sep 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I want some of these scrolls how do i order them ?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 20, 2013 1:01 pm

I have blank scrolls in stock here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/search.php?q=blank

You can order custom blank wall scrolls here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Blank+Wall+Scroll

If you need something very special, please let me know your specifications, and I'll see if I can do it.

-G.

linwezzzy

Post by linwezzzy » Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

I was wanting a hand scroll not the wall kind

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Basically, a hand scroll is the same format as a vertical wall scroll (just used horizontally).

If you want a super-long hand scroll, that costs a little extra ($10). I can also delete the knobs if you want (some people like knobs on their hand scrolls, but others have requested to not have any).

The paper panel on the longest one I normally make is 135cm. That makes a scroll nearly 2 meters long when you add the silk panels. Paper comes in 68cm x 135cm sheets, so anything longer than 135cm will have seams where we join the paper.

If you don't need them super long, you can use the link I gave you for ordering.

For super-long scrolls (up to 4x 135cm paper panels), just add this item for each scroll you add to your cart:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddetail.php?prod=blank-hs
That will add the $10 for the extra materials, labor, and postage.

Any notes about knob deletion, you can write in the Special Instructions tab on the options page.

Cheers,
-Gary.

linwezzzy

Post by linwezzzy » Oct 1, 2013 1:47 pm

What about the knobs? I mean for a wall kind arent the knobs longer?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 4, 2013 1:08 pm

It all depends...

I've seen hand scrolls with big knobs (same knobs as vertical wall scrolls). This makes it easy to roll up.

I've seen them with blind rollers (no knobs at all). This makes it very hard to roll up.

I've seen some micro knobs that are made from brass or sometimes bone. I don't have a source for these. It's also hard to roll up the hand scroll with these.

I don't want to offer this because of the high price. But you can give me the dimensions of the wooden knobs you want, and I can make them out of oak. The problem is, I have to make them by hand on my lathe in the USA, polish them by hand, stain them, and urethane them etc. Then mail them to China. It might as well be a prototype, as the least I can charge is $40 for the first set, and $25 each additional set in a batch. In production of 20,000 pieces like my standard knobs, these would cost under $4 per set. But you're asking for a specialty item where just one pair might be made.

-Gary.