Traditional Chinese character translation please! :)

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
NicoAUS1982

Traditional Chinese character translation please! :)

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey all! new guy here haha,

I have two quotes I am looking to get correct traditional character translations for:

"The night is darkest before the dawn"

AND also:

"Welcome to the time of my life"

Thanks so much in advance!

:) :) :)

NicoAUS1982

Re: Traditional Chinese character translation please! :)

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I have done a bit of my own research without knowing any of the behavioral rules of the language, this is what have come up with for "Welcome to the time of my life"

=

欢 迎 到 时 候 时 代 我 的 生 命

is this even close or is a literal translation no good with Chinese characters?

Many thanks! :)

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 13, 2013 7:31 am

Don't use that machine translation (or wherever that came from).

As for the, "The night is darkest before the dawn", I feel like I've seen a Chinese proverb with similar meaning. It might take a couple hours of research to find it though.

Both of these projects will take some time. I have a researcher/translator available in Beijing right now. It should be noted that you don't want to do a long phrase like this quickly. It's best to let the translator take time, really think about it, and maybe sleep on it. This is how to get the best result. You want something profound, meaningful, and perhaps poetic. Not something dry and unfealing like the instructions on a shampoo bottle (lather, rinse, repeat).

This is a very personal service that we offer here. You can't compare this with the often-errant flashers at the tattoo parlor.

When you're ready, the charge for each project is $20 for the first English word, and $5 for each additional word. With this, you get professional translation or research, and a template set that includes about 120 styles you can choose from (pick the style that suits your taste).
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php

Cheers,
-Gary.

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Thank you for getting back to me Gary,

I will get back to you in a week or so and will be looking at the 'darkest before the dawn' quote, or similar...

Again thanks for getting back to me I will do this just need to wait until I get paid next week :)

Cheers!

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 18, 2013 3:19 am

Hi Gary,

I'd like to go ahead with the translation for something like "The night is darkest before the dawn" and associated research into that...

Would you be able to let me know how much this would be first?

Many thanks!
Gary wrote:Don't use that machine translation (or wherever that came from).

As for the, "The night is darkest before the dawn", I feel like I've seen a Chinese proverb with similar meaning. It might take a couple hours of research to find it though.

Both of these projects will take some time. I have a researcher/translator available in Beijing right now. It should be noted that you don't want to do a long phrase like this quickly. It's best to let the translator take time, really think about it, and maybe sleep on it. This is how to get the best result. You want something profound, meaningful, and perhaps poetic. Not something dry and unfealing like the instructions on a shampoo bottle (lather, rinse, repeat).

This is a very personal service that we offer here. You can't compare this with the often-errant flashers at the tattoo parlor.

When you're ready, the charge for each project is $20 for the first English word, and $5 for each additional word. With this, you get professional translation or research, and a template set that includes about 120 styles you can choose from (pick the style that suits your taste).

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Let's call that 5 words (I won't count "the").

You can order here:

Cheers,
-Gary.

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 18, 2013 5:58 pm

All done and ordered thanks Gary!
Gary wrote:Let's call that 5 words (I won't count "the").

You can order here:

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am

The best version we came up with was this:

黎
明
前
的
黑
暗

I like to check back with customers before I make the templates, so just let me know if this looks OK as far as character count, etc.

-Gary.

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 20, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks Gary that looks great, does it translate well into Chinese? or is the wording/saying different now?

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 23, 2013 12:51 am

Hey mate are you able to answer the above query please?

Many thanks! :)
Gary wrote:The best version we came up with was this:

I like to check back with customers before I make the templates, so just let me know if this looks OK as far as character count, etc.

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I had military duty starting Friday thru the weekend, so I'm playing catch-up now.

This is a proper translation with the meaning you want in Chinese. I can break it down and annotate it for you. Just know that the annotation will not sound like normal or natural language in English, but this is proper grammar and natural language in Chinese.

1.黎明 lí míng dawn / daybreak
2.前 qián before / in front / ago / former / previous / earlier / front
3.的 de (possessive particle) / of
4.黑暗 hēi àn dark / darkly / darkness

We'd read this in almost the opposite order in English. So, "It's darkest before the dawn". If you try to understand the Chinese word order and grammar, it's like, "Before dawn, is the darkest [time]".

-Gary.

NicoAUS1982

Post by NicoAUS1982 » Jul 24, 2013 12:18 am

No problem at all mate, thanks for getting back to me!

This is great thank you Gary, I want people who can read this to understand what it means... Please go ahead with this and send the material through when you have chance :)

Cheers,